Youth Basketball League
Youth Basketball is Back!
Are you ready for youth basketball to return in 2023? The City of Ojai Recreation Department youth basketball league tips off another exciting season for athletes’ in 2nd through 8th grade, and clinics for those in K through 1st grade. Practices will take place at Topa Topa Elementary and Matilija Middle School. Game schedules will be finalized by December 31, 2022. All games are played on Saturday at Sarzotti Park in the John G. Martin Gymnasium, and practices are scheduled by individual coaches.
General Program Information
Each week participants will learn the game of basketball with a combination of practice and gameplay. Skill development will focus on dribbling, shooting, passing, sportsmanship, and teamwork. The Ojai Recreation Department Recreation league is a great program for participants to work on learning and building on fundamental skills with game opportunities offered in a friendly competitive setting.
- K-1st Grades
- 2nd through 3rd Grades
- 4th through 5th Grades
- 6th through 8th Grades
- 4th through 5th Grades
Registration begins November 2, 2022 - The cost to participate in the league is $105 per participant. The cost to participate in the clinic is $70 per participant. To register, please visit our Program Registration page.
Player evaluations are an important element of league play, as it allows the Recreation Department to evenly distribute players to teams as best as possible. All players must go through the evaluations. If a child is unable to attend the evaluations, they will still be placed on a team.
Evaluation dates will be held on November 19th and December 3rd at the John G. Martin Gymnasium at Sarzotti Park (see the following times)
- Coed 2nd through 3rd Grades: 8:30 am
- Girls 4th through 5th Grades: 9:30 am
- Boys 4th through 5th Grades: 10 am
- Girls 6th through 8th Grade: 10:45 am
- Boys 6th through 8th Grade: 11:00 am
Please do not come until your scheduled evaluation time.
- You will be contacted by a coach within two weeks following the evaluation.
- The time and place of practices are determined by the coaches.
- Team shirts will be provided by the first game.
- Games will be played at Sarzotti Park in the John G. Martin Gymnasium on Saturdays.
- Schedules will be posted online and passed out no later than the first scheduled game.
- Team practices begin after evaluations.
- Coaches and assistant coaches are nationally and locally background checked and required to attend a coach’s class to volunteer in this league.
- Registration Deadline: December 2, 2022
- Player Evaluations: November 19 and December 3, 2022
- Team Announcement: December 16, 2022
- First Practice: December 19 – 23, 2022
- Holiday Break (no practice): December 26 -30, 2022
- First Game: Saturday, January 7, 2023
- Picture Day: Saturday, January 28, 2023
- League Playoffs Start Date: March 4, 2023
The Ojai Recreation Department youth sports programs rely on volunteer coaches. To start the Recreation Basketball season on time, the Recreation Department needs a coach in place for every team before any team practice or game schedule can be made available.
If you would like to be a coach for the upcoming season, please fill out an interest form or by scanning the QR Code in the Coaches flier.
Thank you in advance for supporting our programs! Our coaches are what make our programs a success and without your help, our programs would not be possible. If you have additional questions about coaching, please email Vicki Hollingsworth, Recreation Coordinator.
Please remember that the Recreation Department runs the Youth Basketball League as a recreational league for the children. We want all teams and players to feel that they are playing in a safe environment and that their experience is a positive one.
Please also remember that our referees are doing their best and we are trying to reinforce good sportsmanship within our league. Please notify Luis Gomez, Parks and Recreation Supervisor, of any problem that you may notice or encounter.
Thank you for your participation in the league and good luck with your season.